Feral Cat Coalition Clinic Procedures
ALL TRANSPORTERS MUST BE VERY ALERT, ACTIVE PEOPLE WHO CAN STAY FOCUSED!
Transporter Job #1 (at least 1 person required)
Admitting Area To Anesthesia
- Bring cats in traps/carriers to anesthesia area in the order designated by the Supervisor and/or Anesthesia team, usually as follows:
Knock first before opening door to deliver cats to anesthesia area.
Interface with Anesthesia Technicians/Volunteers regarding pace and volume.
Deliver empty trap/carrier to Recovery area (make sure remaining pre-printed label or masking tape ID strip is still affixed to trap/carrier).
If required, take cat from Ears/Vaccines area to Recovery area (depends on clinic set-up).
After clinic, thoroughly clean area.
Transporter Job #2 (at least 2 people required)
Anesthesia To Prep
- Prepare post-anesthesia area by lining floor surface with newspapers.
- Knock first before opening door to accept cats from anesthesia area.
- Observe cat's level of consciousness and remove cat from carrier when unconscious (approximately 5 minutes). Lightly tap your finger near cat's eye; if no blink reflex, then patient is ready to go!
- Affix one pre-printed label or masking tape strip ID to cat's throat area with number at the chin and description extending down the throat (second label remains on trap/carrier).
- Affix medical toe tag to cat's hind foot. If previously undetected medical problem is noticed, prepare toe tag with CAT'S ID #, complete ID information, and description of medical problem.
- Deliver cat to Prep area.
- Return empty trap/carrier to a Job #1 Transporter (make sure remaining pre-printed label or masking tape ID strip is still affixed to trap/carrier); try to keep original trap cover with trap!
- After clinic, thoroughly clean post-anesthesia area.
Transporter Job #3 (at least 3 people required)
Prep To Surgery / Surgery To Ears & Vaccines
- Take cat from Prep area to Veterinarian (females will be on tie-down boards).
- Place cat in front of Veterinarian, noting the preferred position of head/tail juxtaposition.
- Be vigilant in maintaining integrity of sterile area.
- Alert Veterinarian to medical toe tag.
- Notify Recorder as cats arrive and leave surgery so none are missed on the clinic log.
- After spay/neuter procedure is completed, take cat from Vet and deliver it to Ears/Vaccines area.
- Return tie-down board to Prep area and clean with specified solution.
- After clinic, thoroughly clean transport area and assist Prep volunteers with cleaning tie-down boards and preparing them for packing.
Transporter Job #4 Optional (depends on flow of clinic and # of cats)
Ears And Vaccines To Recovery
- Take cat from Ears/Vaccines area to Recovery area; work with Recovery volunteers on where to deliver cats so they're placed in correct trap/carrier.
Back to Clinic Procedures Home Page
[Page updated November 2009]